Braised Chicken with Chestnuts
1 Chicken, about 4 pounds
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons black soy sauce
30 dried chestnuts
4 tablespoon corn oil
1 tablespoon medlar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
6 1/2 cups water
1 head lettuce
1. Clean chicken, drain and rub all over with salt and soy
sauce. Let it stand for 15 minutes.
2. Prepare chestnutsby boiling and rubbing off skin. Heat oil and fry chicken over high heat until well browned all over.
Remove and cool.
3. In remaining oil, fry chestnuts for 3 minutes and add oyster sauce, medlar ,salt, pepper and a few tablespoons water.
4. Mix the chestnut with chicken and pour water over chicken and simmer, covered tightly, for an hour or so.
3. Test with a metal skewer and if chicken seems underdone, continue to simmer for half an hour or more. Serve on a bed of
lettuce, leaving extra liquid on the side for anyone who
likes to mix with rice.