Hairy Marrow and Dried Squid Soup
Hairy marrow is said to correct the 'Qi' while dried octopus is
believed to strengthen the circulation of 'Qi' and blood.
Peanuts check the water retention in the body.
2 hairy marrow (jie gua), approx. 1/2 pound each
1/2 ounce dried octopus
1 ounce raw peanuts
8 red dates, stoned
2 slices old ginger
1/2 pound lean pork ribs
10 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1. Soak the peanuts in water overnight. Drain before use.
2. Wash the dried octopus and cut into big slices. Wash and scald the lean pork and ribs in boiling water for 3 mintues. Rinse and drain.
3. Wash and skin the marrows. Cut each marrow into 5 pieces, crosswise, then cube the marrows.
4. Bring 10 cups of water to a boil. Add the scalded meat, octopus, peanuts, red dates and ginger.
5. Cover the pot and leave to boil for 10 minutes over high heat. Then bring the heat to medium-low and simmer gently for 2 hours.
6. Include the hairy marrow cubes and continue to simmer for another hour. Lastly, add seasoning. Serve.