Orange Chiffon Cake
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 granulated sugar
1/2 vegetable oil
7 eggs, at room temperature, seperated
3/4 cup cold water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons grated orange rind
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1. Preheat the oven to 325F
2. Sift te flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup of the sugar. Make a well in the center and add in the following order: oil, egg yolks, water, vanilla, and orange rind. Beat with a whisk or metal spoon until the mixture is smooth.
3. With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until they hold soft peaks. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and beat until they hold stiff peaks.
4. Pour the flour mixture over the white in 3 batches, folding well after each addition.
5. Transfer the batter to an ungreased 10 X 4 inch tube pan and bake until the top springs back when touched lightly, about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
6. When baked, remove from the oven and immediately hang the cake upside down over the neck of a funnel or narrow bottle. Let cool. To remove the cake, run a knife around the inside to loosen, then turn the pan over and tap the sides sharply. Invert the cake onto a serving plate.