Whole-Wheat Banana Nut Bread
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup granulated sugar or packed brown sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon or orange zest (optional)
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
3 large ripe bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/4 cup blueberries, mix with 1 teaspoon of flour (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Line the bottom and sides of a 9 X 5 inch loaf pan with wax paper and grease.
2. Mash the banana to a puree (use blender or fork), set aside.
3. With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
4. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Sift the all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt and lemon/orange zest over the butter mixture and stir to blend.
6. Stir in the whole-wheat flour. Mix well. Stir in the mashed banana. Mix well. Stir in the vanilla and walnut. Mix well. Stir in blueberries, stir slightly.
7. Pour the batter into the pan and spread level.
8. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before transferring to rack.