Jumbo California Maki
1 seaweed sheet
300 gm Japanese sushi rice
10 gm lettuce, shredded
10 gm Japanese cucumber;
30 gm fish roe (ebiko)
1 tsp mayonnaise
1. Place the shiny side of the seaweed sheet face down on the bamboo sushi mat.
2. Spoon the sushi rice onto the seaweed sheet.
3. Flip the rice and seaweed sheet upside down so that the seaweed sheet faces you and the rice layer faces the mat.
4. Place the lettuce, cucumber, crabsticks and mayonnaise onto the sheet.
5. Grasping firmly, roll the mat and the contents.
6. Coat the roll with the fish roe, cut into 8 pieces and serve. The maki roll goes best with pickled ginger, wasabi and soya sauce.
Tip: Wrap the bamboo mat in clingwrap to avoid rice sticking to it!