Spicy Beef with Carrots and Celery
A delicious and spicy recipe for stir-fried beef with crush red pepper and carrot.
1 pound flank steak, shredded
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
1 teaspoon dry sherry
2 teaspoons grated peeled gingerroot
4 tablespoons canola oil
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
2 cups shredded celery
1 to 3 teaspoons crushed red pepper or to taste
1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
1. Place the beef in a bowl, stir in the soy sauce, sherry, and
gingerroot and mix well. Set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a wok or stir-fry pan over high heat until hot but not smoking. Test by dipping the end of a spatula into the beef mixture and then into the oil; it should sizzle.
3. Stir the beef up again and add it all. Stir briskly for about 2 minutes, or until the shreds separate and are no longer pink. Remove the beef with a slotted spoon to a plate, leaving the liquid in the pan.
3. Return the pan to high heat, add the carrots, and cook for 30 seconds. Add the celery and red pepper and stir for 1 minute.
4. Return the beef to the pan and stir a few times. Taste the
gravy and add salt, if desired. Add the cornstarch mixture
and stir until the garvy is thickened. Serve immediately.