Steamed Salmon with Black Beans
Delicious baked salmon coated with black bean and seasoned dry sherry, sesame oil and garlic.
1 pound salmon fillet
3 teaspoons dry sherry
1 teaspoon grated peeled gingerroot
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 garlic clove, pureed
2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions
1 tablespoon fermented black beans, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
cilantro or parsley sprigs , for garnish
1. Place the fish in a heatproof dish at least 1 inch deep, such
as a glass pie plate.
2. Stir together the sherry, gingerroot, salt and garlic in a small bowl. Pour this mixture onto the fish and rub generously on both sides. Let stand for at least 15 minutes. If you are using a fillet, turn it skin side down.
3. Spread the scallions and black beans evenly on top. Drizzle
with sesame seed oil. Bring the water in the steamer to a
4. Place the pie plate on the steamer tray and cover. Steam for 10 minutes, checking for doneness at about 8 minutes.
5. The fish will look opaque and feel springy to the touch. It is better to slightly undercook than overcook since the heat in the fish itself will finish the cooking for you.
6. Serve directly from the steaming dish or transfer to a warm
platter with the juices.