Chinese Spinach Soup
10 ounces Chinese Spinach (xian cai)
1/2 pound minced pork
1 slice old ginger
1 clove garlic, skinned and crushed
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups hot water
Marinade for minced pork:
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon light soy sauce
1 teaspoon cornflour
1. Wash and the pluck Chinese Spinach into 2 centi-metre lengths. Rinse and drain. Marinate minced pork.
2. Take a teaspoon of minced pork and mould it into a meatball. Repeat with remaining minced meat. Set aside.
3. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pot. When the oil is hot, put in the ginger and garlic and saute for a minute. Put in the Chinese Spincah and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
4. Add 3 cups of hot water into the pot and bring contents to a boil over high heat. Keep boiling, with pot covered, for another 15 minutes.
5. Add meat-balls and simmer the soup for a futher 10 minutes. Season with the teaspoon of salt. serve warm.