Chicken with Fresh Tomato Sauce
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb/480 g total), trimmed of visible fat
6 slices whole-wheat or white bread, crusts trimmed
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
Salt to taste
Cracked black pepper to taste
2 large egg whites
No-stick cooking spray
2 large vine-ripened tomatoes
1 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons slivered fresh basil leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place chicken breasts between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound to flatten slightly.
2. Place bread in a food processor and process to crumbs. Add parsley, salt and pepper and process to mix. Transfer the crumbs to a shallow dish.
3. In a second shallow dish, lightly beat egg whites with a fork. Dip chicken breasts in egg whites, then roll in breadcrumbs.
4. Spray a large ovenproof skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Carefully add the prepared breasts and cook until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Turn the breasts over and transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake until no longer pink on the inside, about 15 minutes.
5. While the chicken is baking, prepare the tomato/basil sauce
6. Add tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and cook, shaking the pan, for 2 to 3 minutes, just long enough to heat tomatoes. Stir in basil and remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Serve the chicken with tomato sauce alongside.