Tomato and Beef Soup
3 ounces rump steak, trimmed of fat
3 1/2 cups beef stock
2 tablespoon tomato puree
6 tomatoes, halves, seeded and chopped
2 teaspoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon cornflour
1 tablespoon water
1 egg white
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
2 spring onion, finely shredded
salt and ground black pepper
1. Cut the beef into thin strips and place it in a saucepan.
2. Pour over boiling water and cover. Cook for 2 minutes,
then drain thoroughly and set aside. Bring the stock to
the boil in a clean pan.
3. Stir in the tomato puree, then the tomatoes and sugar.
4. Add the beef strips, allow the stock to boil again, then lower the heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Mix the cornflour to a paste with the water.
5. Add the mixture to the soup, stirring constantly until it
6. Lightly beat the egg white in a cup. Pour the egg white into the soup in a steady stream, stirring all the time.
7. As soon as the egg white change colour, add salt and pepper, stir the soup and pour it into heated bowls. Drizzle each portion with a few drops of sesame oil,sprinkle with spring onion and serve.