Basic Beef Stock
5 pounds beef shin bones, broken into pieces
4 carrots, cut into large chunks
2 onions, quartered
2 celery sticks, cut into large pieces
5 garlic cloves, crushed
10 black peppercorns
7 1/2 cups water
1. Preheat the oven to 190' C or 375'F. Spread out the beef
bones in a large roasting tin.
2. Add the prepared carrots, onions, celery and garlic and roast for about 25 minutes.
3. Using a slotted spoon transfer the bones and vegetables
to a large saucepan, leaving behind any fat in the roasting tin. Add the peppercorns.
4. Pour in the water and bring to the boil. Boil for 5 minutes, skimming off any scum which rises to the surface of the liquid, then lower the heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
5. The stock can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days or frozen for 2-3 weeks. Skim off any hardened fat from the surface of the stock before use.